Following are the Current Affairs for 3rd May 2017:
Below you will find Daily current affairs for 3rd May 2017 divided into various categories.
1. Emission standards soon for Railways
- Indian Railways will soon come under emission standards, with the Engine Development Directorate of the Research Designs and Standards Organisation drawing up the draft norms for diesel locos. The report has been made public by the Central Pollution Control Board.
- Diesel Locomotives on Indian Railways – attempts to set standards and protocols for the sector to achieve the targets submitted by India under the Paris climate change agreement.
- Under the Nationally Determined Contributions submitted by the country, the Indian Railways will save 3.33 million tonnes of CO2 by 2020 (80 per cent over the period 2011-12 to 2020-21) and has an energy target of saving 4.05 billion kWh by 2020.
2. Madhya Pradesh shifts to Jan-Dec fiscal year
- Madhya Pradesh became the first State to announce shifting of its financial year format to January-December from the present April-March cycle.
- The decision comes close on the heels of PM Narendra Modi making a pitch for shifting the fiscal year to January-December period during NITI Aayog’s governing council meet in the national capital recently.
- The Finance Minister of MP said that the State government would try to finish the current budget proceedings by December this year.
3. AIIB grants $160 mn for Andhra Pradesh Power project
- China-sponsored Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) today approved USD 160 million loan for a power project in Andhra Pradesh, the first credit from the bank for an Indian project.
- The AIIB, in which India is the second largest shareholder after China, has approved the project with the objective to strengthen the power transmission and distribution system in Andhra Pradesh, said a bank statement.
- The ’24×7 Power for All’ project is part of Government of India’s ‘Power for All’ programme that was launched in 2014 to provide an efficient, reliable and affordable electricity to all consumers across selected states within five years from the start of implementation.
Business & Economy
4. IREDA to raise $300 million
- The government’s principal clean energy financing arm, the Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) seeks to raise at least $150 million through Masala bonds.
- This issuance will have a Green shoe Option to retain over-subscription up to $150 million. In the request for proposal document, IREDA has invited bids for the appointment of Lead Managers for the proposed issue under Euro medium-term note (EMTN) Programme of $300 million for a tenor up to 5 years.
- The proceeds from the fund raise will be used for lending to renewable energy projects in accordance with IREDA’s Green Bond Framework, approved by the Climate Bonds Initiative, UK.
5. SEBI sets up panel on cyber security
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has set up a high-level panel on cyber security to suggest measures to safeguard the capital markets from attacks. The four-member committee would be chaired by Madhabi Puri Buch, whole-time member at SEBI.
- The panel will oversee and provide overall guidance on cyber security initiatives to the regulator and for the entire capital market.
- Besides, it will advise SEBI in developing and maintaining cyber security and cyber resilience requirements aligned with global best practices and industry standards in accordance with the need of the domestic market.
6. World Press Freedom Day: 3rd May 2017
- Every year, 3rd May is celebrated as the World Press Freedom Day. The 2017 Theme is ‘Critical Minds for Critical Times: Media’s role in advancing peaceful, just and inclusive societies’.
- It is celebrated by UNESCO to evaluate press freedom around the world, to defend the media from attacks on their independence and to pay tribute to journalists who have lost their lives in the exercise of their profession.
- The international day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 1993 following a Recommendation adopted at the 26th Session of UNESCO’s General Conference in 1991.
7. Mr. Anthony Lianzuala: New Controller General of Accounts
- Anthony Lianzuala took over as the New Controller General of Accounts (CGA), Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance, in New Delhi.
- A graduate from the Hindu College of Delhi University, he is highly credited for his IT initiatives in the North-Eastern Region.
- Mr. Lianzuala took this post with effect from May 1, 2017. He is the first person from the North-Eastern Region to hold this position.
8. Mallikarjun Kharge appointed as new chairman of PAC
- Mallikarjun Kharge is the new chairman of the 21-member (14 from Lok Sabha and 7 from Rajya Sabha) Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of Parliament.
- Kharge has replaced Congress leader K V Thomas whose term ended on April 30.
- The chairman of PAC is appointed by the speaker of Lok Sabha. The main function of PAC is to examine the audit report of Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) after it is laid in Parliament.
9. Rajive Kaul gets diplomatic service award from South Korea
- Chairman of Nicco group and past president of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Rajive Kaul was conferred with the Order of Diplomatic Service Merit Sungnye Medal of the Republic of Korea.
- He was awarded for his services rendered as honorary consul general of South Korea in Kolkata.
- The award was conferred by the acting President and Prime Minister of South Korea Hwang Kyo-ahn at a programme in New Delhi recently.
10. Shabana Azmi starrer ‘The Black Prince’ awarded at film fest in Houston
- Hollywood film The Black Prince, featuring singer-poet Satinder Sartaaj and veteran actress Shabana Azmi, was awarded the Special Jury Remi Award at the 50th annual Worldfest-Houston International Film Festival (WHIFF).
- The film is a historic biopic on the poignant life story of the last king of Punjab – Maharajah Duleep Singh.
- The film is directed by Kavi Raj.
3rd May 2017 Current Affairs & GK Quiz:
After reading the above news, you can also test your knowledge by taking the following Quiz. It contains questions from today’s Current Affairs and some General Knowledge. To visit the 3rd May 2017 quiz, just click on the button below.