The first ever Global Conference on Voter Education titled “Voter Education for Inclusive, Informed and Ethical Participation” is being organized by the Election Commission of India in association with UNDP from 19th to 21st October, 2016 at New Delhi.
The main purpose of the conference is to learn from the experiences of Election Managing Bodies (EMBs), government and non-government by way of sharing the best practices, policies and initiatives of voter education. All EMBs recognize the need for inclusive participation of voters through the exercise of informed and ethical choice as the key to strengthening the fabric of democracy. The Voter is the central point of the electoral framework and every voter must be thoroughly aware and educated about the electoral processes and procedures, so as to ensure his or her informed and ethical participation.
The three day event is to take place at Taj Palace, New Delhi on 19-20 October, while on 21st October a field tour has been planned for the visiting delegates.
Participants of the Voter Education Conference:
- Election Management Bodies of 27 countries from across the globe will converge at this Conference to share experiences and develop novel practices.
- The International delegation consists of 9 delegations headed by the respective Chairperson and 8 by the Election Commissioners and 10 by other Senior Officials.
Components of the Conference:
Following components, during the Conference, shall be of significance:
- Global Platform: The Conference shall provide the first ever global platform for the sharing of best practices in voter education.
- Overseas Indian Survey cum Competition: With the Conference, the ECI also launches the NRI survey cum competition. The survey-competition is a novel way ahead in touching a chord with the Overseas Indians. It aims to not only gather useful data through the survey but also attract and engage NRIs about their voting eligibility and rights. This will also help guide the Commission in formulating further voting initiatives especially designed for the Overseas Indian population.
- The VoICE.NET: The Conference will see the launch of the ambitious project of VoICE.NET. It is a Global Knowledge Network on voter education with membership from participating EMBs and Organisation working in the field of elections and democracy – VoICE.NET. This network will provide an innovative wide platform to share knowledge resources, interact on discussion board, sharing platform for events and practices in member countries.
- The Exhibition: An exhibition showcasing Voter Education tools and materials from India and across the world consisting of informational material, model polling station, provision of live voting on EVM, photos, videos, 3D models, interactive games developed by ECI shall be on show. The EVM and VVPAT have especially being demonstrated for the delegates on their request. The substantial quantum of Voter Education material developed by ECI, the voter education guides/brochures, the compilation of Human Stories and other literature including the praiseworthy Braille brochures on voting education shall also be on display.
- The Resolution: The Conference will also aim to achieve a Resolution to strengthen Inclusive, Informed and Ethical electoral participation among member countries with the help of Voter Education and outreach.