Top leadership of the country including the Prime Minister, Chief Ministers and Ministers from States and Union Territories today signed a Declaration of Commitment to make India Open Defecation Free and Clean by 2019.
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, Union Ministers and Chief Ministers of Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Chattisgarh, Goa, Haryana, Maharashtra and Goa besides Ministers from States and UTs signed the Declaration of Commitment during the INDOSAN (India Sanitation Conference) today. Other elected representatives from rural and urban local bodies, District Collectors, Municipal Commissioners also signed a similar Declaration.
Minister of Urban Development Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu said ‘Mood Of Developing India (MODI)’ over the last two years has been for a Clean India and after a slow start, Swachh Bharat Mission has gained momentum over the last one year with good progress in implementation in both rural and urban areas.
The Minister informed that as on date 405 cities and towns have come to be Open Defecation Free and 739 would become ODF by March next year. 24 lakh individual household toilets have so far been built in urban areas and another 19 lakhs under construction. 20,000 of the 82,000 urban wards have become ODF. 90,000 community and public toilet seats have been built and another 1.29 lakh seats under construction.
Organisations felicitated by Prime Minister for work to ensure cleanliness:
- Chandigarh and Mysuru (Clean Cities in million plus population category)
- Gangtok (Cleanest Tourism Destination)
- Pune Municipal Corporation and SWACH Cooperative Society (Best in Solid Waste Management)
- Rani Ki Vav, Patan, Gujarat (Cleanest Cultural Heritage Site)
- Surat Railway Station(Cleanest Station)
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Research & Education, Chandigarh (Cleanest Hospital)
- Mandi district, Himachal Pradesh (ODF and Cleanest district in hilly areas)
- Sindhugurg district, Maharashtra (ODF and Cleanest district in plain areas)
- National Cadet Corps, NCC (Exemplary nation-wide cleanliness activities)